If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (978) 486-9868

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Littleton Homeowners Can Prevent Fire Damage With Wood Stove Safety

9/26/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage How Littleton Homeowners Can Prevent Fire Damage With Wood Stove Safety SERVPRO Tip--Prevent Fire Damage in Little and Keep Your Chimney Clean

Inspections and Cleanings by SERVPRO Can Mitigate Fires

Wood stoves are popular with some homeowners. They provide heat as well as looking attractive and a little bit rustic, especially during the cold fall and winter days that are so common in Massachusetts. A wood-burning stove is comforting and cute and who does not enjoy the crackle of a real fire? Unfortunately for Littleton homeowners, wood stoves are also a fire risk. That is why SERVPRO recommends being cautious and taking precautions to keep wood stoves safe.
 
There are several steps Littleton wood stove owners can adopt to reduce the risk of fire damage. It does not take much effort to secure a wood-burning stove and make it safer, thus protecting your home from a potential blaze.
 
Proper clearance from surrounding materials is a must. Check the manufacturer’s instructions or get your burner professionally installed to make sure there is enough space at the front, back, top, bottom, and sides.
 
A proper chimney is required. Chimneys should be UL-listed and constructed in such a way as to be safe for use with your stove (lined or double bricked are standard). Do not use an unlined, single brick chimney for a wood burning stove under any circumstances.
 
Good ventilation is a must. Ventilation problems are a leading cause of wood stove related home fires. The vents connecting the stove to the chimney must be as short as possible, with no more than two ninety-degree bends. Fasten stovepipes securely, and make sure the seams between sections overlap. Improper ventilation can lead to emergency health hazards.
 
Wood-fired burners require cleaning at least once a year. The stove itself, the stovepipes, and the chimney, all need a thorough cleaning. If you cannot do it yourself, call in a professional to do it for you.
 
Avoid creosote buildup. Creosote is highly flammable and builds up when the stove burns at a relatively low temperature, thus failing to release combustible gases to the atmosphere, so they stick to the stove and form creosote. You can scrub away some black deposits with a wire brush, but some adhere firm and require a professional chimney sweep.
 
In the unfortunate event of fire damage, SERVPRO’s IICRC-certified technicians are on hand to assist with cleanup. We arrive equipped with heavy-duty cleaning equipment to deal with soot damage and take care of deodorizing your home after cleaning is complete.
 
For help with soot cleanup in Acton, Bolton, Maynard, Hudson and surrounding areas, call SERVPRO of Marlboro / Concord at (978) 486-9868 for assistance.

More about Littleton right here

Other News

View Recent Posts